Even now it’s not too late for the BJP to turn the tide. It needs to do a few things quickly.
Here’s a To-do list:
- Sack Amit Shah and get a dynamic person with a clean image;
- Win back the confidence of the business community. Treat businessmen as partners in progress. Take whatever it needs to invigorate the economy quickly. Also, please note that there are businessmen other than the Ambanis and Adanis. Make GST more user-friendly. Stop treating businessmen as a bunch of chors;
- Address farmers’ issues on war-footing. Modi had time to attend Priyanka Chopra’s wedding reception but he did not meet leaders’ of farmers who had come in thousands to Delhi with their grievances. The agrarian crisis is very grim;
- Wage a war on corruption for real. Renegotiate the Rafale deal. Delete the need for prior sanction to prosecute babus. Scrap electoral bonds. Strengthen RTI. BJP is rightly perceived to be a corruption-friendly party. This perception has to be dispelled;
- Find a legal way to build the temple at Ayodhya. In fact, it should be possible to persuade the Sunnis to agree to the temple;
- Scrap Article 370. It just needs an ordinance;
- Get BJP workers to reach out to the masses at the booth level;
- Confer Bharat Ratna posthumously on Veer Savarkar and rename Ahmedabad and other cities and railway stations reeking of Moghul or British hangover;
- Finally, Modi should stop his foreign travels and focus on fast-tracking the economy.
The BJP CAN win 2019 if it carries out these course corrections in right earnest. It has a historic duty to perform towards the nation.
1. The views expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of PGurus.