[dropcap color=”#008040″ boxed=”yes” boxed_radius=”8px” class=”” id=””]C[/dropcap]entral Bureau of Investigation’s (CBI) preliminary investigation with the support of Income Tax department has unearthed illegalities and violations committed by two lady Income Tax officers, by helping New Delhi Television Ltd. (NDTV), where one of their spouse was working as a journalist. The CBI’s letter to Income Tax department shows that in August 2015, the agency had decided to register a case of preliminary enquiry against Shumana Sen (also spelt as Sumana Sen) for manipulations in NDTV’s income tax related matters. She is an IRS officer and was the Assessing Officer of the Income Tax circle of NDTV.
Her husband Abhisar Sharma was working with NDTV as a journalist cum anchor at an exorbitant salary. CBI also sent reminders to Income Tax department in March 2016 seeking some more documents in this case. Both communications are published at the end of this report.
CBI is also probing into the role of another lady Income Tax official Ashima Neb for NDTV account manipulations. According to the latest information sent by Income Tax to CBI, Shumana Sen is having a gross unaccounted income of Rs.7 crores ($1.046 million), and husband journalist Abhisar Sharma is having a gross unaccounted income of Rs.4.08 crores ($610,000). The IRS officer Ashima Neb’s gross unaccounted income comes to Rs.2.93 crores ($438,000).
CBI is expected to register a First Information Report (FIR) soon in this case against the two lady officers and also against NDTV under Prevention of Corruption Act and misuse of official position. This case was first exposed by senior Income Tax officer S K Srivastava and he was arm-twisted by the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) regime. Srivastava was hounded and several false cases were foisted on him. He was taken back into service by the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) regime.
[dropcap color=”#008040″ boxed=”yes” boxed_radius=”8px” class=”” id=””]N[/dropcap]oted activists S Gurumurthy and Madhu Kishwar had written about Srivastava’s trials and tribulations. Noted lawyer Ram Jethmalani and former Director General of Police (DGP) K P S Gill also took up the issues raised by Srivastava.
1. The conversion rate used in this article is 1 USD = 66.89 Rupees.
2. Text in Blue points to additional data on the topic. It is highly recommended that you read these to get the complete picture.
- National Herald: ED issues notices to ex-Congress Ministers of Andhra Pradesh for giving money to Young Indian - September 23, 2022
- ISRO develops microprocessor-controlled smart limbs. Expected to be 10 times cheaper - September 23, 2022
- Ban on pro-jihadi outfit PFI is imminent after countrywide NIA, ED raids, arresting 106 key PFI leaders - September 23, 2022