Delhi High Court upholds Agnipath scheme
On Monday the Delhi High Court dismissed the pleas challenging Centre’s Agnipath military recruitment scheme.
Five petitions had challenged the Agnipath scheme while other 18 petitions which sought appointment as per the previous recruitment scheme, have also been dismissed.
“All petitions challenging Agnipath Scheme are dismissed,” said the court. The HC said the scheme, launched on June 14, 2022, was made in the national interest and to ensure that armed forces were better equipped.
A division bench headed by Chief Justice Satish Chandra Sharma said it does not find any reason to interfere with the scheme. The court had reserved its decision on December 15 last year.
The court also dismissed the petitions seeking resumption and enrolment as per previous recruitment scheme in defence services, saying the petitioners do not have a vested right to seek recruitment.
The Centre had sought dismissal of the petitions, saying that defending India’s territory required an agile, youthful and technologically sound armed forces.
The government further argued that the objective of the scheme was to have a young combat force that is physically and mentally capable of taking the new challenges.
On the aspect of four years duration of the service under the scheme, the Centre said that the duration of training was optimized to meet the organizational requirement.
PGurus is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with all the latest news and views
For all the latest updates, download PGurus App.