The appointment of the judge to the higher courts has been controversial for some time
The Law Ministry has cleared the candidatures of Wasim Sadiq Nargal, Sindhu Sharma, and district judge Rashid Ali Dar for the judgeship of the Jammu and Kashmir High Court. The file has been sent to the Prime Minister’s Office for approval.
Sharma, who is the sister-in-law of Union Minister Arun Jaitley, is Assistant Solicitor General in the J&K High Court, Jammu wing. The State Government had also recommended the name of advocate Nazir Ahmed Beig, but the Law Ministry rejected it.
The Law Ministry sent the file to the PMO over a couple of weeks ago. The final decision will be announced after the PMO clearance.
The appointment of judges to the higher courts has been controversial for some time. Last week, the government had rejected the Supreme Court collegium’s two recommendations for the ‘Allahabad High Court’. The collegium had suggested two lawyers, Mohammad Mansoor and Basharat Ali Khan, for the elevation. It was the second time that the government refused to accept the recommendations, citing complaints against them.
1. Text in Blue points to additional data on the topic.
2. The views expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of PGurus.
- Liberty Is Penalized, Violence Goes Untouched - December 21, 2019
- Rahul’s Howdy bloomer - September 22, 2019
- Chidambaram’s hypocrisy - August 22, 2019