Fake news and propaganda by a section of Lutyens media is a matter of grave concern for all of us.
The thing that was feared happened; the pandemic spreading from China has finally engulfed almost the entire world. India is also in the midst of this global crisis, fighting this dangerous Coronavirus outbreak with full might and limited resources. Apart from the infrastructural and medical challenges, India, like any other country in the world, is facing the additional challenge of fake news and false propaganda. With fake news on one side and Chinese propaganda on the Chinese virus on the other is it not the religion of journalism to uncover the conspiracies responsible for this crisis?
The Chinese campaign is very much embedded in Indian media. This is the class which has been supported by the Chinese agencies for some time, Chinese media circulated a lie that it has not been able to identify where and how the virus spread, blaming the US for its outbreak. Surprisingly, this claim was prevalent in the Indian media too; it was described as a new revelation, not as a Chinese claim.
China can go to any extent when it comes to saving its face from the blaze of the Corona-crisis and the way Indian journalists are producing fake news in the Indian media on the issue of Coronavirus is worrisome.
Elite sections of Indian media seem threatening on behalf of China. A variety of arguments are given by different sections of the print and electronic news media that show how some of the well-known, highly- paid journalists are propagating nothing but the left-wing propaganda, treating China as a superpower. Here are a few examples:
- A leading Indian news magazine recently warned that if India tried to call COVID-19, a Chinese virus borne disease, it would see the repercussions and suffer huge losses and would pose a bigger challenge for India.
- While the government was planning for various measures related to the Corona-crisis lockdown, an electronic Indian news media showed a detailed statement of the Chinese ambassador who claimed that the People Republic of China neither created the new Coronavirus nor transmitted it. It was also brought in the news that China’s efforts have brought the COVID-19 disease under control. These kinds of exercises by the media were uncalled for because Indian population that is struggling with the Corona-crisis, at the outset, is least bothered about Chinese lip service, especially when the credibility of the Chinese govt is in question and Chinese govt use a lot of deception and propaganda and do not inform the world on time.
- An electronic new media channel showed an interview, without showing any restraint, and propagated news that a huge number (several Crores) of the Indian population is likely to get infected in upcoming days.
- A lot of journalists are busy discussing on social media on the issue of whether the Coronavirus should be called Chinese Virus or not. Especially when we know that Chinese machinery has developed a propaganda system and have full control on its social media, it is absolutely unclear why the Indian journalists raised issues that have nothing to do with the benefits of the Indian citizens.
- Recently, FIRs are filed against a founder-Editor and a well-known journalist for spreading fake news about the UP Chief Minister.
- A journalist has been booked in Himachal Pradesh for spreading fake news regarding the government services extended for its common people amidst the Coronavirus crisis.
China is going to lose on its false propaganda on Corona-virus but the yellow journalism shown by various sections of the Indian news media is really a matter of grave concern.
Clearly, fake news and propaganda by a section of Lutyens media is a matter of grave concern for all of us. In fact, a leading court of the country has asked the Indian Government to curb the fake news. China can go to any extent when it comes to saving its face from the blaze of the Corona-crisis and the way Indian journalists are producing fake news in the Indian media on the issue of Coronavirus is worrisome.
Do the Indian journalists involved in producing fake news and Anti-National have their vested interests? These are the same class of journalists who have often appeared and spoken about the growing intolerance in the country. More than anything, they appeared highly concerned about the global image of China. How can they come out after publishing fake news? Certainly, they are supported by strong intellectuals, business houses, lawyers and politicians. If so, the government should keep a strict vigilance on such types of “dirty-minded” journalists.
Communism has its long term presence in India, both in soft as hard (Maoism) form. Issues of urban Naxalism is a matter of great concern these days. There are a lot of sympathizers in the Indian society, who turn-twist-fold the facts to support the Chinese side. Journalists like Barkha Dutt and Ranna Ayyub appear in support of each other’s thoughts and the same Rana Ayyub is then supported well by Aysha Renna, a Jihad expounder. Big media houses have been shrewd when it comes to reporting the current Corona-crisis, some of them have deleted the stories after it was proved that the news was nothing but fake, but no one has apologized in public. The issue of tax violation and money laundering is not new. Indian history shows that communism has failed totally but the Indian media sympathizers of China keep on propagating the left-wing agenda simply because they are paid by the Chinese that helps them in getting trifling opportunities and perpetuating lavish lifestyles.
How India will come out of this Corona-crisis of this Chinese virus will become clear in the next few weeks, but it is certain that the risk posed by the Corona-crisis will increase if fake news and false discussions about it are not stopped. China is going to lose on its false propaganda on Corona-virus but the yellow journalism shown by various sections of the Indian news media is really a matter of grave concern. China is an adversary involved in false propaganda and it stands in support of the Pakistan on various accounts, therefore, the response shown by the “dirty-minded” Indian journalists is anti-national in approach and praising China, during the Coronavirus crisis, and blowing the trumpet of China all the time, nowhere, is going to help our countrymen.
1. The views expressed here are those of the author and do not necessarily represent or reflect the views of PGurus.
- Nepal: Falling prey to Chinese intentions - May 18, 2020
- Hindu, Hindutva and Hindustan - April 27, 2020
- Countering Indian media fake news through a large scale PIB (India) fact check - April 23, 2020