Chai pani to continue in the next round
With Chinese fighter jets entering into a no-fly zone, Sunday’s 16th India-China, military commander-level talks ended inconclusively, as usual, agreeing to have another round of talks on some other date. According to the official version from the Indian side is – India and China on Sunday reaffirmed their resolve to sustain the momentum of dialogue for early resolution of continuing stand-offs between the two armies in Eastern Ladakh. The two sides also agreed to have another round of military-level talks at the earliest.
The 16th round of Corps Commander level talks between the two armies at the Chushul-Moldo border meeting point at the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in Ladakh on the Indian side. Leh-based 14 Corps chief Lt General Anindya Sengupta led the Indian delegation while Major General Yang Lin led the Chinese team. The meeting started at about 9.30 am. The last round of military dialogue took place on March 11 and it lasted for around 13 hours. For the past two years, after the clash between India and China soldiers at Galwan Valley, 16 Military Level talks took place to dilute the border tussles.
As regards the latest parleys, the two sides reviewed the present situation prevailing on the ground at the friction points in Eastern Ladakh and agreed to maintain peace and tranquility and avoid escalating tension, said Indian officials.
The Indian delegation also brought up the issue of Chinese fighter jets transgressing the no-fly zone close to the LAC in Ladakh which may lead to more tension, they said. The most recent case was reported in June when a Chinese jet came close to the LAC on its side. The two countries have a pact that no jets can fly within 10 kilometers of the border on either side.
Earlier in the morning in Delhi, Indian Air Force Chief V R Chaudhari told the media about the provoking moves by Chinese air forces “I cannot put out any particular reason why they are doing it but we are monitoring it, we take immediate action by scrambling our fighter jets there”.
Besides this issue, the talks focused on firming up a process for disengagement from friction points at Depsang Valley, Demchok, and Hot Springs, said Indian officials. India has all along stressed that the complete withdrawal of Chinese troops from the stand-off sites and status quo ante as prevailing prior to May 2020 are the prerequisites for restoring normal ties between the two countries. At present, more than 50,000 troops each from both sides are facing each other at the LAC thereby leading to tension in the border areas.
The latest round of diplomatic level talks was held days after External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi reviewed the situation at the LAC in Bali, Indonesia.
PGurus is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with all the latest news and views
For all the latest updates, download PGurus App.
- Airlines asked to share PNR details of international passengers with Indian customs authorities 24 hours prior to departure - August 9, 2022
- Indo-US Joint Special Forces exercise begins at Bakloh, Himachal Pradesh - August 8, 2022
- Opposition party JVP urges Sri Lankan Govt to clear its stand on delaying the Chinese ship’s arrival after India’s objection - August 8, 2022