The 2G judgment that was handed down by Judge OP Saini is wrong at so many levels that I am not going to dwell on it. But I do see some parallels between this and what happened earlier in the Jayalalithaa Disproportionate Assets case that I would like to draw your attention to –
Jayalalithaa Disproportionate Assets Case
- On September 27, 2014, J Jayalalithaa (JJ) the then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu and three others were convicted of possessing Disproportionate Assets and fined Rs. 100 crores. The four sought bail and it was granted on October 17, 2014 with several restrictions.
- On January 18, 2015, the Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley visited Jayalalithaa at her home, which raised several eyebrows. Here was a convicted person, appealing her conviction in a higher court and a leading member of the Cabinet pays her a visit! For what one can only assume…
- The case went to appeal in Karnataka High Court and on May 11, 2015, the High Court set aside the lower court judgment and all four were set free.
- Elections were declared in Tamil Nadu for the State Assembly on May 16, 2016. It was expected that the BJP would get into a coalition with the AIADMK but nothing of that sort happened. Worse, BJP went it alone and managed to lose the deposit in 230 of the 232 seats that they contested.
- The Karnataka Government appealed the High Court judgment in the Supreme Court and on February 15, 2017, the Supreme Court overturned the HC judgment and convicted all. By this time JJ had passed away.
Fast Forward to the Present – The 2G Spectrum Scam
- On February 2, 2012, the Supreme Court cancels all 122 licenses given for the 2G Spectrum and constitutes as 2G Special Court, with OP Saini as the judge. The Special Court was to go into details of the charge sheet filed by the CBI in April 2011. The first task Saini is given is to rule if P Chidambaram, the then Home Minister should also be charged (as he was part of the decision making process in allotting 2G licenses, according to the petitioner Subramanian Swamy).
- On February 4, 2012, Judge Saini dismisses Swamy’s request to charge Chidambaram.
- On February 2, 2017, the Maran brothers were acquitted in their role of allegedly trying to coerce Aircel promoter C Sivasankaran to sell his stake to Malaysia based Maxis, by the 2G Special Court. The judge? OP Saini.
- On November 6, 2017, Narendra Modi meets Muthuvel Karunanidhi, the ailing chief of the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK), which set off a lot of speculations. The Government had just raided around 187 premises linked to AIADMK leaders.
- The 2G Special Court was to have delivered its judgment on Oct 25, 2017. On that day, the court said that it needed some more time and that the judgment would be delivered on November 7, 2017. Come November and the judge puts it off until December 5, 2017. In the meantime Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh went to polls.
- On December 5th, the judge said that he needed some more time to write the judgment and gave a final date of December 21, 2017. And that was yesterday, when the Court freed all the accused of all charges. These are the facts of the matter.
- Was it good optics on part of the Prime Minister to meet the father and husband of 2G accused persons? (Kanimozhi and Dayalu Ammal)
- Is there an electoral understanding between the BJP and the DMK in the making for the 2019 Lok Sabha polls? Or is AIADMK being softened up so BJP can have the luxury of choosing between Tweedledum and Tweedledee?
You can put your own questions via Twitter to @SreeIyer1 or write in a comment. We will add the 5 best questions posed into this post along with your name.
 TN Polls: Results show BJP has still not made any inroads in the state – May 19, 2016, Scroll.in
 2G Scam: SC scraps 122 licenses, trial court to decide on Chidambaram’s role – Feb 2, 2012, The Times of India
 No case against Kalanithi Maran, misreading of files led to Aircel-Maxis probe – Feb 2, 2017, Indian Express
- Farm Bill withdrawal: Its time Modi change his style of functioning and be more inclusive - November 20, 2021
- Modi gets the highest approval rating of 70 percent among world leaders - September 5, 2021
- Congress MP Shashi Tharoor discharged from wife Sunanda’s mysterious death case – how a high-profile criminal case got sabotaged - August 19, 2021