Senior BJP leader Subramanian Swamy alleged that certain Finance Ministry officials are preventing Enforcement Directorate (ED) from registering money laundering charges under PMLA against the TV channel. In a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the BJP leader cited the recent articles of PGurus on NDTV’s main promoters Prannoy Roy and Radhika Roy cheating the investors and siphoning money into their personal accounts.
“I am writing this letter in view of the obstacles that have been placed by the Finance Ministry officials on Enforcement Directorate to proceed in the matter of money laundering and fraud in NDTV. With this letter I enclosing two news items as Annexure based on the investigation done by PGurus.com on December 14 and December 16, 2016,” said Swamy.
PGurus published three articles recently on NDTV as follows:
- Dec 14th – How Prannoy Roy cheated shareholders and investors of NDTV
- Dec 15th – Prannoy Roy siphoned Rs. 53.84 crore to personal account from NDTV
- Dec 16th – Unending saga of NDTV frauds – Prannoy Roy & wife granted Rs.92 crores interest…
Mincing no words, Swamy accused NDTV for telling lies and airing stories against BJP. He also said that the TV channel was supported by Christian Missionaries. Swamy’s letter is published at the end of this report.
“Therefore, I cannot understand why the Finance Ministry officials should restrain the ED from taking these investigation to the logical conclusion of charge-sheeting them and proceeding in Court to framing of charges and conviction,” said Swamy to Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Two months back, Swamy had complained to CBI and ED that action should be taken against the prominent faces of NDTV including Prannoy Roy, Barkha Dutt, Vikram Chandra and Sonia Singh for cheating, fraud and money laundering. He accused that agencies are still probing the case under FEMA, which envisages only a fine and cases should be converted to Prevention of Money Laundering Act, which envisages three to seven years imprisonment. He alleged that certain people in top positions in government are trying to save the prominent faces of NDTV and providing them with an escape route by paying fine.
Here is a copy of the letter by Swamy to the PM:
1. Text in Blue points to additional data on the topic.
- Charges framed against Hooda by special CBI court in National Herald’s Panchkula land allotment case - April 16, 2021
- India relaxes rules on renewal of OCI (Overseas Citizen of India) cards - April 15, 2021
- Sunanda case – Court to reserve orders for framing of charges against Shashi Tharoor. Delhi Police reiterates adding murder charge - April 12, 2021