India avenges beheading of Soldier
The stage is set for another brutal face-off between the Indian and Pakistan army along the line of control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir. Hours after three Indian soldiers were martyred in an ambush in Macchil sector of North Kashmir’s Kupwara district on Tuesday Indian army launched a counteroffensive to avenge the beheading of another Indian soldier, second in last one month by the Pak army.
According to field reports at least 15 Pakistani posts were targeted by the Indian army across five sectors along the 740 km long line of control (LoC) throughout Wednesday.
The massive fire assault by the Indian army was launched around 9AM soon after Pak army initiated indiscriminate firing in Bhimber Gali, Krishna Ghati and Naushera sectors on wednesday.
Heavy exchange of fire power was also reported in Keran, Macchil, Gurez sectors in Kashmir valley.
Panic reaction by Pak DGMO?
The massive fire power deployed by the Indian army to decimate these forward posts triggered a panic reaction on the Pak side as its DGMO rank official sought an unscheduled telephonic conversation with its Indian counterpart to de-escalate the situation late Wednesday evening.
Even after holding the talks aimed at de-escalating the tensions along the LoC Pakistan army issued a statement claiming Pakistan will respond to the loss of 3 soldiers at a point & time of its choosing.
“Pak Army shoots down six Indian soldiers at the LOC in response to its 3 lost soldiers earlier today” a twitter handle of Pakistan army claimed.
According to field reports Indian army used 120mm heavy mortars (categorized as artillery weapons) and anti-tank guided missiles as well as artillery and air defence guns during punitive strikes on Pak army posts.
The Pakistan DGMO complained of four civilian casualties in the Indian firing, in which at least one Pakistan army officer and four soldiers were also killed, but Lt Gen Singh firmly replied that Indian troops had only targeted locations from where ceasefire violations had been initiated.
Will not tolerate unethical mutilation of Indian soldier’s body
While expressing grief at the civilian casualties, Lt Gen Singh stressed the continuing infiltration attempts by terrorists into J&K and the “unethical mutilation” of the Indian soldier’s body by terrorists, actively backed by the Pakistan army, would not be tolerated. “The Pak DGMO was told to exercise strict control on his troops to ensure they refrain from nefarious activities,” said an officer.
“If any ceasefire violations were initiated by Pak troops or any infiltration attempts were made by terrorists from Pak-occupied Kashmir or territory under its control, it would invite an appropriate response by the Indian Army,” Army spokesperson said.
Villagers digging bunkers inside their homes
Meanwhile, villagers living close to the line of control across Naushera sector have started digging bunkers in their houses to ensure safety of their family members. “We are witnessing heavy exchange of shelling for past several weeks and it is not showing any signs of improvement either. Instead of stepping out of our homes in this harsh weather we decided to dig bunkers on our own, Som Raj resident of village Sariyan in Naushera sector said.
Like him several other villagers were working over time and digging the ground to construct bunkers for their family members.