Most people are aware that the Home Ministry has sent a notice to Rahul Gandhi regarding his citizenship. Why did the Ministry seek this clarification and what is the thought process behind sending the notice?
Firstly, we need to understand that this entire issue is not at all with respect to Rahul Gandhi’s citizenship. Confused? The whole issue is in relation to the property owned by Rahul Gandhi in foreign countries.
The question of citizenship is only a cover.
If Rahul Gandhi replies to the Ministry that he was and still is an Indian citizen, the question arises who was the owner of the British property and money in British banks.
Secondly, then Rahul Gandhi has to say that in order to do business in UK he had to fake British citizenship but he is an Indian citizen.
There are two issues which thus arise:
The first is how he purchased property in the UK.
- The Indian law is very clear that any Indian citizen who wishes to purchase property abroad has to take permission from both the Home Ministry and External Affairs Ministry which Rahul Gandhi has not done.
- The second issue is why didn’t he take permission when the UPA was in power in 2005. The reason is simple. When black money is used for buying property how can one report it and take permission?
- Due to this, he will be forced to give a reply stating that he took British citizenship. Once he accepts this his Indian citizenship automatically gets canceled.
- Now let’s come to the question that if he has property in the UK why did he hide it from the Government. What was the reason behind this and what was the business he was doing in UK? Because his office is located 90 miles outside London in a remote village where no one resides.
- Assuming that he had purchased the office for running his business why is it closed since 2004. Where did the income come from for which he has paid income tax in the UK and filed an income tax return? This proves that this was laundering of black money.
- If Rahul Gandhi decides to forego his properties in the UK and wants to continue being an MP in India he has to lie that he is not a British citizen. In such a scenario, the Government of India can seize his foreign properties since Rahul Gandhi’s signature is there on the documents.
- If he accepts that he is a British citizen, then his Indian citizenship will get canceled. On top of this, his MP position would be stripped and he could go to jail for having fooled the country and the Parliament all these years.
- Whatever Subramanian Swamy does, he does it with proper evidence and complete preparation. Though he is not a lawyer he has been successful in all his cases. This case of Swamy has tightened the noose around Rahul Gandhi’s neck.
Now Rahul Gandhi is literally caught between the devil and the deep sea!
This is a translation of a Hindi post by a newspaper columnist Mr. Sushil Kumar Saroagi Jindal (सुशील कुमार सरोगी जिंदल), New Delhi.
- Indo-US top Defence brass discuss about exchange and co-operation in the Indo-Pacific region - July 30, 2021
- July 28th, Wednesday, Daily Global Insights Headlines - July 29, 2021
- India and United States reaffirm commitment to strengthen democratic institutions. Blinken meets Dalai Lama’s representative - July 28, 2021