BJP Government withdraws from the controversial takeover of 51 temples in Uttarakhand

Uttarakhand State Government withdraws the decision to take over 51 temples in the state

Uttarakhand State Government withdraws the decision to take over 51 temples in the state
Uttarakhand State Government withdraws the decision to take over 51 temples in the state

This is called responsive Government in democracy – Swamy

At last, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Government in Uttarakhand decided to withdraw the controversial decision to take over 51 temples in the State including iconic Kedarnath and Badrinath Temples. Uttarakhand Chief Minister Tirath Singh Rawat on Friday decided to take 51 temples out of the administrative ambit of the state’s Devasthanam Board and review the decision to form it.

Talking to reporters here after a meeting of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad’s Kendriya Margdarshak Mandal, Rawat said the issue of the Devasthanam Board came up for the discussion at his meeting with the seers. “I have decided to take out of the Devasthanam Board’s ambit 51 temples which had been brought under it,” said Rawat, adding the government will also review the decision to form it. BJP leader Subramanian Swamy who challenged the temple takeover law welcomed the Chief Minister’s announcement. “This is called responsive Government in democracy,” said Swamy.

The controversial Char Dham Devasthanam Act was passed in 2019 during the tenure of former Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat. As per the controversial Act, Chief Minister is the Chairman of the Board and run by Chief Executive Officer from Indian Administrative Service (IAS) cadre BJP leader Subramanian Swamy challenged the Act in Uttarakhand High Court[1].

Though the Court directed to change the provisions of the Act regarding the assets of the temples, Swamy’s petition was rejected. Swamy approached the Supreme Court against the High Court’s decision and the matter is pending for listing[2].

Prime Minister Narendra Modi many times attended the meeting of the Char Dham Board virtually. Many BJP leaders termed this controversial takeover of temples as a move to provide infrastructure. But there were widespread protests in the state against the BJP’s government’s move. For the past one year, many pujaris were staging protests in front of the temples against the State Government’s “atrocious” move to take over temples and making IAS officers administrators. Vishwa Hindu Parishad also declared to start statewide protests from May. The previous Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat was forced to resign from the post due to widespread allegations about his style of functioning and corruption charges.

References:

[1] Uttarakhand Government’s 51 Temples takeover Act is blatantly unconstitutional, replies Subramanian Swamy in High CourtJun 21, 2020, PGurus.com

[2] Subramanian Swamy files appeal in Supreme Court against Uttarakhand HC judgment ratifying the takeover of 51 temples by State GovernmentSep 18, 2020, PGurus.com

2 COMMENTS

  1. Better late than never.
    Former CM Trivendra lost his portfolio. PM lost his face value for nearly four years which was avoidable. All those talks of infra development in Uttakhand was a bakwas abd to protect PM’s image.

    All BJP ruled states must learn how to deliver good governance first.

    Dr.S.Swamy awakened BJP’s Uttakhand Govt lead.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here