ED seeks prosecution sanction against Senthil Balaji in cash-for-jobs scam

    The ED has sought prosecution sanction against Senthil Balaji in the alleged cash-for-jobs scam linked to his tenure as transport minister

    Senthil Balaji prosecution sanction request reaches new Tamil Nadu government
    Senthil Balaji prosecution sanction request reaches new Tamil Nadu government

    ED seeks government approval

    The agency cited a Supreme Court ruling on prosecution sanction requirements

    The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has approached the Tamil Nadu Chief Secretary seeking prosecution sanction against former minister V Senthil Balaji in the alleged cash-for-jobs scam linked to his tenure in the AIADMK government between 2011 and 2016.

    According to ED sources, the agency moved the request following a Supreme Court ruling that made prior sanction mandatory before prosecuting public servants for actions allegedly committed during official duties.

    ED cites Supreme Court ruling

    Sources said the agency relied on a November 2024 Supreme Court judgment which held that even the Enforcement Directorate must obtain prosecution sanction before proceeding against serving or former public officials in certain cases.

    The ED said provisions under Section 197 of the Criminal Procedure Code and Section 218 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) require government approval before prosecuting a public servant for offences allegedly committed while discharging official functions.

    Earlier, the agency maintained that money laundering offences did not require such sanctions as they were outside the scope of official duty. However, following the court ruling, prosecution sanction has become mandatory before trials can proceed.

    Fresh request sent to new Tamil Nadu government

    The ED had previously sought sanction from the earlier DMK government, but approval was reportedly not granted.

    After the recent change in government in Tamil Nadu, the agency has now approached the new TVK-led administration headed by Chief Minister Joseph Vijay.

    The move is expected to test the ruling TVK government’s commitment to its promises of clean governance and anti-corruption measures.

    Allegations linked to transport department jobs

    The case relates to allegations that Senthil Balaji, while serving as Transport Minister in the AIADMK government under former Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, collected money from job aspirants in exchange for promises of employment in the transport department.

    The ED alleged that Balaji, along with his brother and aides, conspired to collect bribes from candidates seeking government jobs.

    Several applicants who allegedly paid money but did not receive appointments later lodged complaints, triggering criminal investigations and the subsequent money laundering probe.

    Arrest, resignation and political controversy

    Senthil Balaji was arrested by the ED on June 14, 2023, and remained in judicial custody before securing bail.

    His return to the MK Stalin-led cabinet after release had sparked criticism, especially after the Supreme Court reportedly questioned his continuation as minister during hearings earlier this year.

    Following the court’s observations, Balaji resigned from the Tamil Nadu cabinet on April 27.

    Despite the controversy, he retained the Coimbatore South seat in the recent Assembly elections by a narrow margin.

    Senthil Balaji has previously maintained that he would contest the allegations through legal means.

    For all the latest updates, download PGurus App.

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    error: Content is protected !!