BJP leader Subramanian Swamy on Wednesday urged Prime Minister Narendra Modi to direct the Uttarakhand Chief Minister to withdraw the recent Act, which took over 51 temples. Terming the takeover of temples as illegal, Swamy in a letter told Modi that the 51 temples take over by the State Government is an embarrassment to the Bhartiya Janata Party (BJP) and its ideology. Swamy has already challenged the controversial Char Dham Devasthanam Management Act of 2019 in the Uttarakhand High Court and the Court has issued notice to the State Government on February 25.
“The Uttarakhand BJP Government has brought legislation to take over almost all the temples of the State and also appointed the Chief Minister as Chairman of the Board of Trustees. This move is not only against the policy of our party and ideology of Hindutva but also illegal and against the Judgment of the Supreme Court (now widely known case as Subramanian Swamy vs State of Tamil Nadu judgment by the Supreme Court in 2014). In this the Supreme Court has laid down clearly that the Government under Article 25 of the Constitution, cannot take over the administration of any temple, except for the brief period when there is a documented misappropriation of funds of the temple,” pointed out Swamy, adding that there was no misappropriation in Uttarakhand.
“In Uttarakhand cases, there is no documentation of such misappropriation of funds either in the case of Badrinath Temple or Kedarnath Temple or any other 49 temples and hence the Government take over such temples of Uttarakhand is unconstitutional.
Subramanian Swamy in his letter to Prime Minister Modi said that “this is a major embarrassment to all of us and our stand has been that the temples should be administered by the devotees and not by the Government. Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat is facing the wrath of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP), the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), prominent Hindu leaders and Sanyasis for piloting this controversial Char Dham Devasthanam Management Act of 2019.
This Act passed by the BJP-ruled State Government in 2019, intending to take control of more than 51 temples related to the Char Dham circuit has already invited severe criticism from the Sangh Parivar organizations. This Act enables the Government to take control of the temples currently by priests, local trusts and the new Act say MPs, MLAs, and representatives appointed by the State Government will run the temples. As per the Act, the head of the Devasthanam Board will be the State Chief Minister, and many Government officials are placed in the administration. The Act says, if the Chief Minister is not a Hindu, senior-most Hindu Minister will be the head of the Board. The State Government has not yet responded to the High Court Notice on Subramanian Swamy’s petition against the takeover of temples.
“I, therefore, urge you to instruct the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand to withdraw this legislation by which the temples of Uttarakhand had been taken over…..Rather than waiting for the Court to deliver Judgment against the takeover, it would be in the interest of our Party if you as Prime Minister gives a direction to the Chief Minister to restore the position which has existing before the takeover of the temples. It is also politically sensitive to do so,” said Swamy.
Subramanian Swamy’s letter to Swamy is published below:
- Gross NPAs of banks to rise to 8-9% this fiscal year: Crisil Report - October 19, 2021
- Delhi Police summon controversial lobbyist Niira Radia in Yes Bank loan fraud of Rs.300 crore. But Radia buzzed off to London - October 19, 2021
- Prime Minister Modi to inaugurate Kushinagar international airport on Wednesday. Buddhist pilgrims will now have direct access - October 18, 2021