The Rs.3600 crores-worth AgustaWestland VVIP Chopper scam case is being totally diluted with the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) filing the first supplementary charge sheet with no politicians. In December 2016, the first charge sheet was made naming the then Indian Air Force Chief S P Tyagi and the main middleman Christian Michel and 10 others. Saturday’s supplementary charge sheet adds 15 more accused persons who were involved in the money trail to the Indian Air Force Officers in the controversial AgustaWestland VVIP choppers scam. Now a total of 27 persons are named as accused. The CBI is expected to add former Defence Secretary and Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) Shashi Kant Sharma and senior Indian Air Force officials and Defence Ministry officials after getting Sanction for Prosecution from the Government.
This is a clear dilution of the case as the Italian Judgment and Christian Michel’s letters attached in the Judgment clearly expose the role of Sonia Gandhi and her Political Advisor Ahmed Patel. The ruling party, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) always accused Sonia Gandhi and Ahmed Patel of their role in the AgustaWestland Chopper Scam from 2013. After the Italian Court Judgment came in early 2016, the BJP Government in Parliament attacked Sonia Gandhi. The main speaker was the BJP leader Subramanian Swamy who went on an all-out attack on Sonia Gandhi’s role where 70 percent of the kickback money went to politicians.
It is clear as daylight that the CBI has not yet got the political clearance to question the politicians involved in the VVIP Chopper Scam. But why?
But till date, CBI has not even summoned or even sent a questionnaire to Sonia Gandhi or Ahmed Patel. It appears as though the CBI limited its probe only to Defence Ministry officials and IAF officials and the bribe givers to them. As per the kickback sharing chart written by Christian Michel, which is part of the Italian Judgment, it clearly shows that these people got only around 30 percent of the total amount and the remaining 70 percent went to politicians, where Sonia Gandhi’s role is clearly mentioned. The total kickback as per the Judgment is around Rs.500 crores, as per the chart written by Christian Michel. PGurus in April 2016, first published the full Italian Judgment naming Sonia Gandhi, Ahmed Patel.
In many election rallies, Prime Minister Narendra Modi boasted the extradition of Christian Michel from Dubai and even said “many are in tension because they don’t know what all Michel will reveal.” Why then did CBI, which is under Prime Minister Narendra Modi, not yet questioned any politicians including Sonia Gandhi and Ahmed Patel in the AgustaWestland case, which is a crystal-clear case? Obviously, in such politically sensitive cases, the CBI proceed only after getting the political head’s clearance. Reading the charge sheet, it is clear as daylight that the CBI has not yet got the political clearance to question the politicians involved in the VVIP Chopper Scam. But why?
 Dr Subramanian Swamy Rajya Sabha speech on Agusta Westland scam – May 4, 2016, YouTube
 Italian Court judgment exposing Sonia Gandhi & Manmohan Singh in AgustaWestland Deal (Full report) – April 26, 2016, PGurus.com
 Christian Michel, the British businessman who probably knows too much – Dec 05, 2018, Economic Times
- How Bofors scam probe and trial was sabotaged in a systematic way Still the case is pending before Supreme Court. Will CBI be ordered to act? - September 27, 2020
- Bofors Scandal – The murky tale of sabotage: Who all are responsible? - September 26, 2020
- The Shrouded Bofors Scam – A sad tale of institutional collapse, criminal sabotage and a contrived dead end, but…? - September 25, 2020