Dear Prime Minister Modi –
There is a famous doha (couplet) of Kabir in Hindi, which goes as follows:
जो कल करे सो आज कर
जो आज करे सो अब कर
Translated into English, it goes as follows:
What you can do tomorrow, do it today…
What you can do today, do it now.
I am sure you have read this several times.
Why did India choose you?
India was fascinated by you, your work ethic, the way you turned around a ravaged town (Bhuj) and the experience of people who visited Gujarat when you were the Chief Minister there. Embellished or not, the picture painted of your work in your home state was that you had turned Sand into Gold. (Not to be confused with a certain copy cat attempt by a leader who shall go unnamed, who tried to describe a machine that converted Potato into Gold).
In the run up to 2014, India saw you as a ray of hope in the sea of mediocrity that the UPA had become. This may have been your marketing chutzpah but you still had to crisscross the country, fight a hard election and convince a populace of 1.25 billion (125 crores) that you can do the job.
The last 4 years
It is easy to explain away the non-results as being due to the previous regime. The public will listen to you, empathize with you, but only up to a point. After four years, it is difficult to swallow seeing some of the most blatant acts of corruption being condoned by the courts. The most common reason put out is “lack of evidence”. Another excuse trotted out – the case was prepared during the UPA regime. Quite frankly, the people do not want to hear excuses – they want results. Every Indian’s blood boiled when they discovered that the Top secret document on P Chidambaram prepared by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for the eyes of the Supreme Court was found in Chidambaram’s bedroom! What have you done about this? Why does this evil genius still roam free, mouthing sermons?
Back your instincts
Lok Sabha elections are just a few months away – Babus may be afraid of taking drastic action for fear of reprisal from a non-NDA government, should one be formed in 2019… Now is the time for you to come on your front foot and show how you can belt the ball to the cover boundary, instead of staying on the back foot, ready to duck. Indian wickets are slow and low – remember this! There is no leadership in the opposition but that won’t deter them to resort to any trick to try and show you in poor light. Despair not, the whole nation knows this (especially the youth who are keenly following the undercurrents thanks to Social Media). In terms of leadership, India knows that you are a giant compared to the rest who are Lilliputs.
How to govern in the last 12 months
- Rid your cabinet of people who are not 100% healthy. National elections are a serious business and every hand on deck must contribute his/ her might in reaching out to the corners of the country. Infuse new blood.
- Execute faster – many landmark decisions can be executed by the legislature, such as passing the Triple Talaq Bill, passing an ordinance (and then law) to getting Ram Mandir built in Ayodhya. This was in BJP’s manifesto – show intent. Allow officers a free hand to act on investigations and do not allow any political interference.
- Implement Uniform Civil Code and crackdown on all legal violations. I realize Law and Order comes under the State governments but do not hesitate to crack the whip and dismiss the habitual offenders. Show leadership.
- Engage with media. Establish a robust Media Center for PMO’s office and have daily press briefings, as they do in the United States. Response must be prompt and proper. Show that you care for the entire country. The law is the same for all. Enforce this.
Maa Bharat needs you
At this time of its history, the country needs you. PGurus is your best supporter and your worst critic – we have to play both these roles because the Opposition does not want to challenge you on your decisions or indecisions for reasons best known to them.
We tip our hat to you for recognizing the flaws in the Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN) and taking a fresh look at it. Also kudos to you for ensuring the EVM-VVPATs are deployed and taking steps to minimize possible fraud. But much more remains to be done – so please go back and read the first few lines again.
His first book NDTV Frauds has been published and is an Amazon Bestseller.It ranked second among all eBooks that were self-published in 2017.
His second book, The Gist of GSTN which too is available on Amazon as an e-Book and as a paperback.
His third book, The Rise and Fall of AAP is also available in print version or as an e-Book on Amazon.
His fourth book, C-Company just released to rave reviews and can be bought as a print version or as an e-Book on Amazon.
Latest posts by Sree Iyer (see all)
- The Walmart acquisition of Flipkart – what it means for India - May 11, 2018
- Noida Police expunges FIR filed by Chidambaram’s benami petitioner Upendra Rai against PGurus - April 29, 2018
- Why the delay in the selection of Deputy Governor? - April 27, 2018