Cordelia cruise drug bust case:: CBI questions D’Souza, who is listed as accused number 5 in the FIR
The CBI on Tuesday questioned accused Sanville alias Sam D’Souza in connection with alleged bribe demand of Rs.25 crore from actor Shah Rukh Khan for not implicating his son Aryan Khan in the 2021 Cordelia cruise drug bust case. The agency had given a third notice to D’Souza last week to appear for questioning at its Delhi office, officials said.
He has not yet been questioned by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) in the case which was registered by the agency on May 12. D’Souza is listed as accused number 5 in the CBI FIR. “The CBI issued him a notice on June 16 to appear before it for questioning. His plea before the Special CBI Court in Mumbai seeking anticipatory bail was turned down. Former Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) zonal director Sameer Wankhede, the main accused in the case, has been granted interim protection by the Bombay High Court till June 23.
The CBI has alleged that D’Souza had brokered a deal between Shah Rukh’s manager and witness K P Gosavi for helping Aryan in the case. Aryan Khan was arrested by the NCB on October 3, 2021, a day after the NCB raid on Cordelia cruise ship. He was granted bail by the Bombay High Court on October 28, 2021 after spending 25 days in jail.
The much hyped case took a twist when an ‘independent witness’ claimed in 2021 that Rs.25 crore was demanded by an NCB official and other persons, including witness Gosavi, to let off Aryan Khan. Prabhakar Sail, the ‘independent witness’, now deceased, had told media persons that he had overheard Gosavi telling D’Souza over the phone about the demand of Rs.25 crore after Aryan Khan was brought to the NCB office after the October 2, 2021 raid.
“It has also been alleged that the said persons entered into conspiracy in order to extort an amount of Rs.25 crore (approx) from family members of the alleged accused of the case of NCB, Mumbai, by threatening them of the accusation of offences of possession of narcotics substances as per the alleged directions of then zonal director (Wankhede) being the supervisory officer,” a CBI spokesperson had said after the registration of the FIR.
The NCB on May 27, 2022 also filed a 6,000-page charge sheet against 14 accused, giving a clean chit to Aryan Khan. NCB officials said Aryan Khan and five others were not named in the agency’s charge sheet due to “lack of sufficient evidence”.
Besides the NCB SIT found “grave irregularities” and gaps in the probe, the officials said, adding that the central agency’s first team that arrested Aryan did not follow rules like mandatory medical test of accused, video recording of raids and corroborate evidence for WhatsApp chats.
PGurus is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with all the latest news and views
For all the latest updates, download PGurus App.
- Pakistan seeks USD 11 billion aid from China, Saudi Arabia to keep IMF bailout programme on track - September 29, 2023
- Madras High Court passes interim order asking BJP MLAs to return temple land acquired illegally - September 27, 2023
- Delhi court denies bail to Maltese man, who assisted Kamal Nath’s nephew, in money laundering case - September 27, 2023