China coal mine explosion kills 82, several feared trapped underground

    A massive blast at the Liushenyu coal mine in China killed 82 miners while several others remain trapped underground

    Chinese President Xi Jinping ordered an all-out rescue effort after a deadly coal mine explosion in Changzhi city
    Chinese President Xi Jinping ordered an all-out rescue effort after a deadly coal mine explosion in Changzhi city

    Explosion at Liushenyu coal mine

    The blast occurred on Friday evening in Changzhi city while hundreds of miners were underground

    At least 82 people were killed and several others are feared trapped after a massive explosion ripped through a coal mine in China’s Shanxi province, state media reported on Saturday.

    The blast occurred on Friday evening at the Liushenyu coal mine in Changzhi city while hundreds of workers were underground, according to Chinese state news agency Xinhua.

    Authorities said around 247 miners were inside the mine at the time of the explosion. Rescue teams managed to bring 201 workers safely to the surface by early Saturday, while search operations are continuing for those still missing.

    The cause of the explosion is currently under investigation.

    Chinese President Xi Jinping has ordered an all-out rescue operation and directed authorities to prioritise treatment for the injured while intensifying efforts to locate those trapped underground.

    According to Xinhua, Xi also called for a thorough investigation into the incident and instructed officials to ensure strict accountability against those found responsible.

    “Spare no effort” should be made in rescue and relief operations, the Chinese President reportedly said while emphasising the need to prevent similar industrial disasters in the future.

    Following the tragedy, executives linked to the company operating the Liushenyu mine have reportedly been detained. However, Chinese authorities have not disclosed how many officials were taken into custody or what charges they may face.

    The accident has once again drawn attention to safety conditions in China’s coal mining industry, particularly in Shanxi province, which remains the country’s largest coal-producing region.

    Shanxi, home to nearly 34 million people, produces almost one-third of China’s coal output. The province’s miners extracted around 1.3 billion tonnes of coal last year alone, making it central to the country’s energy supply.

    China has witnessed several deadly mining accidents over the years despite repeated government promises to strengthen workplace safety standards and tighten regulations in the sector.

    For all the latest updates, download PGurus App.

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    error: Content is protected !!