Donald Trump claims Iran deal near finalisation, Tehran pushes back

    Trump said a US-Iran agreement is nearing completion after talks with Israel and regional allies, while Iran insisted no nuclear concessions had been made

    Iran responded cautiously after Donald Trump announced that a peace memorandum and reopening of the Strait of Hormuz were close to finalisation
    Iran responded cautiously after Donald Trump announced that a peace memorandum and reopening of the Strait of Hormuz were close to finalisation

    The US President said a peace understanding with Iran and regional partners is close to finalisation

    US President Donald Trump on Sunday claimed that a peace deal with Iran had been “largely negotiated” following talks with Israel and other regional allies, potentially signalling a breakthrough in the three-month-long conflict. According to Trump, discussions are now focused on finalising the remaining details before a formal announcement is made.

    “An Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries, as listed,” Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social.

    The US President also revealed that he had separately spoken with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and described the conversation as positive.

    “Separately, I had a call with Prime Minister Bibi Netanyahu of Israel, which, likewise, went very well. Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed and will be announced shortly,” he added.

    Trump further described the understanding as a “Memorandum of Understanding pertaining to PEACE” involving the United States, Iran, and other participating countries.

    However, Iran responded cautiously to Trump’s remarks, stating that the discussions remain focused primarily on ending the ongoing conflict rather than broader strategic concessions.

    “At this stage, our focus is on ending the imposed war. Our intention has been to firstly agree on an MoU consisting of 14 clauses. The issues that are being discussed are focused on ending the war (on all fronts, including Lebanon). Among the major topics are the cessation of US maritime attacks, or naval blockade as they themselves call it, and other issues pertaining to the release of Iranian frozen assets,” Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said.

    Hormuz dispute remains unresolved

    Trump also claimed that the Strait of Hormuz would reopen as part of the proposed understanding, a key issue given the disruption to global oil supplies during the conflict.

    But Iran rejected the claim, maintaining that Tehran would continue exercising control over the strategic waterway. Reports suggest Iran has only agreed to restore the number of ships passing through Hormuz to pre-war levels, without guaranteeing unrestricted passage.

    Iran’s Revolutionary Guard (IRGC) reportedly dismissed Trump’s announcement as “propaganda”, according to Fars news agency, and insisted that no commitments had been made regarding Tehran’s nuclear programme.

    “It is worth mentioning that Trump had previously announced negotiations about Iran’s nuclear programme as one of the main and inseparable conditions of any agreement. However, no commitment has been made by Iran, and the nuclear issue has not been discussed at this stage,” the IRGC reportedly said.

    For all the latest updates, download PGurus App.

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here

    error: Content is protected !!