Finance Minister Arun Jaitley again is doing double-dealing to save his close friend and former Finance Minister P Chidambaram. The Sanction for Prosecution of five officers in Aircel-Maxis case has been delayed once again. This led to a further postponement of the case to January 11, 2019, and interim protection of the tainted Chidambaram, the main accused in the case.
On November 26, under instructions from the Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) was able to save face in the court by providing Sanction for Prosecution (SP) against the main accused former Finance Minister Chidambaram. The CBI promised that by the next sitting, i. e. December 18, they would provide SP against the following five officers who are co-accused with Chidambaram of illegally approving FIPB (Foreign Investment Promotion Board) clearance to Malaysian firm Maxis to take over Aircel.
- Ashok Jha, former Finance Secretary
- Ashok Chawla, former Finance Secretary
- Kumar Sanjay Krishnan IAS, currently in Assam cadre
- Deepak Kumar Singh IAS, currently in Bihar cadre
- Ram Saran, retired Under Secretary in FIPB
Before filing the Chargesheet on July 19, CBI had filed its request for Sanction for Prosecution to Finance Ministry through Department of Personnel in the second week of July. The agency’s request is still pending with the Finance Ministry. It is easy to see that Arun Jaitley is protecting his close friend Chidambaram.
Is Chidambaram blackmailing Arun Jaitley? Chidambaram might be threatening to expose Jaitley by releasing the illegal amassment of wealth by son Rohan, daughter Sonali and her husband Jayesh Bakshi who are minting money from Corporates through the so-called legal retainership fee. None can be blamed for doubting this aspect.
Whatever the reason behind Jaitley’s pussyfooting in providing Sanction for Prosecution against the co-accused five officers, it is high time Prime Minister Narendra Modi rap his knuckles and give him marching orders, for working against the mandate of his Government.
- How Bofors scam probe and trial was sabotaged in a systematic way Still the case is pending before Supreme Court. Will CBI be ordered to act? - September 27, 2020
- Bofors Scandal – The murky tale of sabotage: Who all are responsible? - September 26, 2020
- The Shrouded Bofors Scam – A sad tale of institutional collapse, criminal sabotage and a contrived dead end, but…? - September 25, 2020